1. Denise Keane of Altria Group Inc., who also topped the overall GC compensation rankings, brought home an impressive $9,000,500 in total cash compensation.
2. American Express Company legal boss Laureen Seeger came in behind Keane this year with a total cash haul of $6,193,000.
3. Maryanne Lavan of Lockheed Martin Corporation earned $2,791,248.
4. Behind Lavan in this year’s rankings is Laura Schumacher of AbbVie Inc. Schumacher made $2,605,369 for overseeing a whole host of areas at the pharmaceutical company besides just legal.
5. The next highest earner on the list is Marianne Short of UnitedHealth Group, bringing home $2,598,100.
6. Sandra Leung joined Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, in 1992 as a litigation department staff attorney. Along with her upward trajectory has come a healthy pay package of $2,134,577 in total cash.
7. Deborah Long of Protective Life Corporation is proof that the insurance industry can pay out well. She brought home $2,002,904 in this year’s survey.
8. Next on our list with a total cash pay of $1,974,000 is Suzanne Rich Folsom, a veteran legal department leader who is currently general counsel of United States Steel Corporation.
9. According to this year’s survey, Elisa Garcia of Macy’s Inc. made $1,934,899.
10. Last but most certainly not least is Kim Rivera of Hewlett-Packard Inc who made $1,893,254 this year.
As part of our 2017 General Counsel Compensation Survey, Corporate Counsel affiliate ALM Legal Intelligence broke down the data to reveal the top earning female legal department leaders. The GCs were ranked by total cash compensation, which includes salary, bonus and other non-equity pay. The rankings are based on company proxy filings from fiscal year 2016.